Clearing your File Explorer history deletes the information Windows saved about the files and folders you use as well as what you've typed in the address bar and Run dialog.
File Explorer history consists of:
- Recent items in the File Explorer jump list.
- Quick access folders in File Explorer Home, except default pinned folders.
- Favorites in File Explorer Home.
- Recent files in File Explorer Home.
- File Explorer address bar typed history.
- Run dialog typed history.
EXAMPLE: History in File Explorer Home
EXAMPLE: Recent history in File Explorer jump list
EXAMPLE: Typed paths history in File Explorer address bar
EXAMPLE: Typed paths history in Run dialog
This option will not clear folders pinned to Quick access in File Explorer home.
This option will not clear Favorites in File Explorer Home.
This option will not clear OneDrive items (if listed) under Recent in File Explorer Home.
Open Folder Options.
In the General tab, click/tap on the Clear button under Privacy. (see screenshot below)
Click/tap on OK to close Folder Options.
This option will completely clear all File Explorer history including what Option One couldn't clear.
Click/tap on the download button below to download the Clear_File_Explorer_history_for_current_user.bat file.
(Contents of BAT file for reference)
:: Clear history in File Explorer Home Del /F /Q %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\* Del /F /Q %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations\* Del /F /Q %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations\* :: Clear typed history in Run dialog reg query HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RunMRU if not ErrorLevel 1 reg delete HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RunMRU /F :: Clear typed history in File Explorer address bar reg query HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TypedPaths if not ErrorLevel 1 reg delete HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TypedPaths /F
Save the BAT file to your desktop.
Unblock and run the BAT file.
You will now see a command prompt quickly flash open and close to run the commands to clear all your File Explorer history.
You can now delete the BAT file if you like.
- Add and Remove Favorites in File Explorer Home in Windows 11
- Add or Remove Recent Files in File Explorer Home in Windows 11
- Add or Remove Frequent Folders in Quick Access in Windows 11
- Clear and Reset Quick Access Folders in Windows 11
- Pin to Quick Access and Unpin from Quick Access in Windows 11
- Enable or Disable Recent Items in Start, Jump Lists, and File Explorer in Windows 11