October 2021 Security Updates
Updates this MonthThis release consists of security updates for the following products, features and roles.
- .NET Core & Visual Studio
- Active Directory Federation Services
- Console Window Host
- Microsoft DWM Core Library
- Microsoft Dynamics
- Microsoft Dynamics 365 Sales
- Microsoft Edge (Chromium-based)
- Microsoft Exchange Server
- Microsoft Graphics Component
- Microsoft Intune
- Microsoft Office Excel
- Microsoft Office SharePoint
- Microsoft Office Visio
- Microsoft Office Word
- Microsoft Windows Codecs Library
- Rich Text Edit Control
- Role: DNS Server
- Role: Windows Active Directory Server
- Role: Windows AD FS Server
- Role: Windows Hyper-V
- System Center
- Visual Studio
- Windows AppContainer
- Windows AppX Deployment Service
- Windows Bind Filter Driver
- Windows Cloud Files Mini Filter Driver
- Windows Common Log File System Driver
- Windows Desktop Bridge
- Windows DirectX
- Windows Event Tracing
- Windows exFAT File System
- Windows Fastfat Driver
- Windows Installer
- Windows Kernel
- Windows MSHTML Platform
- Windows Nearby Sharing
- Windows Network Address Translation (NAT)
- Windows Print Spooler Components
- Windows Remote Procedure Call Runtime
- Windows Storage Spaces Controller
- Windows TCP/IP
- Windows Text Shaping
- Windows Win32K
Security Update Guide Blog Posts
|February 9, 2021||Continuing to Listen: Good News about the Security Update Guide API|
|January 13, 2021||Security Update Guide Supports CVEs Assigned by Industry Partners|
|December 8, 2020||Security Update Guide: Let’s keep the conversation going|
|November 9, 2020||Vulnerability Descriptions in the New Version of the Security Update Guide|
- IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: In the coming months we will be moving to a new, more user-friendly and flexible system for delivering Microsoft Technical Security Notifications. Upcoming information about how you can sign up for and receive these Technical Security Notifications will be coming soon.
- Windows 10 updates are cumulative. The monthly security release includes all security fixes for vulnerabilities that affect Windows 10, in addition to non-security updates. The updates are available via the Microsoft Update Catalog. For information on lifecycle and support dates for Windows 10 operating systems, please see Windows Lifecycle Facts Sheet.
- Microsoft is improving Windows Release Notes. For more information, please see What's next for Windows release notes.
- A list of the latest servicing stack updates for each operating system can be found in ADV990001. This list will be updated whenever a new servicing stack update is released. It is important to install the latest servicing stack update.
- In addition to security changes for the vulnerabilities, updates include defense-in-depth updates to help improve security-related features.
- Customers running Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, or Windows Server 2008 need to purchase the Extended Security Update to continue receiving security updates. See 4522133 for more information.
FAQs, Mitigations, and WorkaroundsThe following CVEs have FAQs, Mitigations, or Workarounds. You can see these in more detail from the Vulnerabilities tab by selecting FAQs, Mitigations and Workarounds columns in the Edit Columns panel.
Known IssuesYou can see these in more detail from the Deployments tab by selecting Known Issues column in the Edit Columns panel.
For more information about Windows Known Issues, please see Windows message center (links to currently-supported versions of Windows are in the left pane).
|KB Article||Applies To|
|5006670||Windows 10, Version 20H2|
|5006672||Windows 10, Version 1809, Windows Server 2019|
|5006714||Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2 (Monthly Rollup)|
|5006715||Windows Server 2008 SP2 (Security-only update)|
|5006728||Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2 (Security-only update)|
|5006729||Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2 (Security-only update)|
|5006732||Windows Server 2012 (Security-only update)|
|5006736||Windows Server 2008 SP2 (Monthly Rollup)|
|5006739||Windows Server 2012 (Monthly Rollup)|
|5006743||Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2 (Monthly Rollup)|
|5007011||Exchange Server 2013|
|5007012||Exchange Server 2016, Exchange Server 2019|
- Operating System
- Windows 10