In Windows 11, you can add languages to install with optional language features and preferences such as:
- Language pack = Contains the latest Windows translations. Installing the language pack adds the language to your list of Windows display languages.
- Windows Display Language = Windows features like Settings and File Explorer will appear in this language. Requires language pack to be installed.
- Text-to-speech = Narrates what's on your screen.
- Speech recognition = Enables you to talk instead of type and requires text-to-speech to be installed.
- Handwriting = Recognizes when you write on your device.
- Keyboard = The default keyboard for the language will be enabled.
- Basic typing = Provides the available spellcheckers and dictionaries.
- Optical character recognition = Extracts text from images so you can interact with it.
This tutorial will show you how to add a language for your account in Windows 11.
If you have a single language edition of Windows 11 installed, you will receive an "Only one language pack allowed" or "Your Windows license supports only one display language" message.
You can't add a new language unless you purchase an upgrade to either Windows 11 Home or Windows 11 Pro.
EXAMPLE: Language Bar
Open Settings (Win+I).
Click/tap on Time & language on the left side, and click/tap on Language & region on the right side. (see screenshot below)
Click/tap on the Add a language button for Preferred languages. (see screenshot below)
Select a language (ex: "English (United Kingdom") you want to install, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)
Check (install) and uncheck (don't install) the Optional language features and/or Language preferences you want, and click/tap on Install. (see screenshot below)
The checked Optional language features will now install for your account. (see screenshot below)
If you checked Set as my Windows display language, you will be prompted to Sign out in order to apply your new display language when you sign in next. (see screenshot below)
- Remove Language in Windows 11
- Install Language Pack in Windows 11
- Change Display Language in Windows 11
- Add or Remove Keyboard Layout for Input Language in Windows 11
- Change Keyboard Layout in Windows 11
- Change Default Input Method Override in Windows 11
- Enable or Disable Website Access to Language List in Windows 11
- Show Language Bar on Desktop or Taskbar in Windows 11
- Add or Remove Language Bar in Windows 11
- Turn On or Off Use Different Keyboard Layout for each App Window in Windows 11