Windows Terminal is a modern, fast, efficient, powerful, and productive terminal application included in Windows 11 for users of command-line tools and shells like Command Prompt, PowerShell, and WSL. Its main features include multiple tabs, panes, Unicode and UTF-8 character support, a GPU accelerated text rendering engine, and custom themes, styles, and configurations.
Windows Terminal comes with quake mode. "Quake mode" is the name for the special mode the terminal enters when naming a window
_quake. When a window is in quake mode:
- The terminal is automatically snapped to the top half of the monitor.
- The window can no longer be resized horizontally or from the top. It can only be resized on the bottom.
- The window automatically enters focus mode (note that you may have multiple tabs in focus mode).
- When windowingBehavior is set to
"useAnyExisting", they will ignore the existence of the _quake window.
- When minimized, the window will be hidden from the taskbar and from Alt + Tab.
- Only one window may be the quake mode window at a time.
EXAMPLE: Windows Terminal in quake mode
Perform one of the following actions:
- Run (Win+R) the
wt -w _quakecommand.
- Open Windows Terminal, and press the Win + ` keys.
- Open Windows Terminal (admin), and press the Win + ` keys.
Once you open Windows Terminal in quake mode, you can press the Win + ` keys to toggle minimize (hide) and restore (show) the Windows Terminal Quake Mode window.
Perform one of the following actions: (see screenshots below)
- Type Exit in the Windows Terminal quake mode window, and press Enter.
- Hover over the Windows Terminal icon on the taskbar to show its thumbnail preview, and click/tap on the Close (X) button on the thumbnail preview.
- Right click or press and hold on the Windows Terminal icon on the taskbar, and click/tap on the Close all windows.
- Open Windows Terminal in Windows 11
- Open Elevated Windows Terminal as Administrator in Windows 11
- Add "Open in Windows Terminal as administrator" context menu in Windows 11
- Add or Remove "Open in Windows Terminal" context menu in Windows 11
- Add "Open in Windows Terminal" expandable context menu in Windows 11