This tutorial will show you how to set up the Windows Hello facial recognition sign-in option for your account in Windows 11.
Windows Hello is a more personal, more secure way to get instant access to your Windows 11 devices using a PIN, facial recognition, or fingerprint. You'll need to set up a PIN as part of setting up fingerprint or facial recognition sign-in, but you can also sign in with just your PIN.
These options help make it easier and safer to sign into your PC because your PIN is only associated with one device and it's backed up for recovery with your Microsoft account.
You can set up facial recognition sign-in with your PC's infrared camera or an external infrared camera.
- Windows Hello face authentication
- Windows Hello biometric requirements
- Windows Hello biometrics in the enterprise (Windows) - Windows security
- Troubleshoot problems with Windows Hello
Your account is required to have a PIN to set up facial recognition.
EXAMPLE: Facial recognition sign-in option on sign-in screen
Open Settings (Win+I).
Click/tap on Accounts on the left side, and click/tap on Sign-in options on the right side. (see screenshot below)
Under Ways to sign in, click/tap on Facial recognition (Windows Hello) to expand it open. (see screenshot below step 4)
Click/tap on the Set up button to the right of Use your face to sign in to Windows, apps, and services. (see screenshot below)
Click/tap on Get started. (see screenshot below)
Type your account's PIN to verify it's you. (see screenshot below)
Make sure your face is centered in the frame, and keep looking directly at your screen until Windows Hello setup has finished. (see screenshot below)
Click/tap on Close when "All set". (see screenshot below)
If you have multiple Hello cameras, Select your preferred Hello camera in the drop menu. (see screenshot below)
This step is only available starting with Windows 11 build 25324.
You can now close Settings if you like.
- Enable or Disable Facial Recognition Sign-in Option in Windows 11
- Improve Facial Recognition Sign-in for Account in Windows 11
- Remove Facial Recognition Sign-in from Account in Windows 11
- Turn On or Off Auto Dismiss Lock Screen if Recognizes Face in Windows 11
- Select Preferred Hello Camera in Windows 11