July 19, 2022 - KB5015879 (OS Build 20348.859) Preview
For information about Windows update terminology, see the article about the types of Windows updates and the monthly quality update types. For an overview of Windows Server 2022, see its update history page.
Note Follow @WindowsUpdate to find out when new content is published to the Windows release health dashboard.
ImprovementsThis non-security update includes quality improvements. Key changes include:
If you installed earlier updates, only the new updates contained in this package will be downloaded and installed on your device.
- Improves the reliability of a push-button reset after an OS upgrade.
- Addresses an issue that makes the tenant restrictions event logging channel inaccessible if you remove the EN-US language pack.
- Updates the Remove-Item cmdlet to properly interact with Microsoft OneDrive folders.
- Addresses an issue that prevents certain troubleshooting tools from opening.
- Addresses an issue that causes port mapping conflicts for containers.
- Addresses an issue that causes Code Integrity to continue trusting a file after the file has been modified.
- Addresses an issue that might cause Windows to stop working when you enable Windows Defender Application Control with the Intelligent Security Graph feature turned on.
- Addresses an issue that triggers lockout policies faster when you use Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) with fast reconnect and Network Level Authentication (NLA) is disabled. This issue occurs when you call LogonUser() with a blank password.
- Provides the option to configure an alternate login ID for an Azure Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) Active Directory Federation Services (AD FS) adapter for on-premises scenarios. You can disable the alternate login ID as required. To configure the Azure MFA ADFS adapter to ignore an alternate login ID, run the following PowerShell command:
- Set-AdfsAzureMfaTenant -TenantId '<TenandID>' -ClientId '<ClientID>' -IgnoreAlternateLoginId $true.
To restart the ADFS service on each server in the farm, use the Restart-Service adfssrv PowerShell command.
By default, the adapter configuration will not ignore alternate login ID (IgnoreAlternateLoginId = $false) unless explicitly set to $true as in the command above.
- Reduces the overhead of resource contention in high input/output operations per second (IOPS) scenarios that have many threads contending on a single file.
- Addresses an issue that prevents the Storage Migration Service (SMS) from completing inventory on servers that have many shares. The system logs error event 2509 in Microsoft-Windows-StorageMigrationService/Admin channel (ErrorId=-2146233088/ErrorMessage="Invalid table id").
- Addresses an issue that causes the Windows profile service to fail sporadically. The failure might occur when signing in. The error message is, “gpsvc service failed to sign in. Access denied”.
Windows 10 servicing stack update - 20348.850This update makes quality improvements to the servicing stack, which is the component that installs Windows updates. Servicing stack updates (SSU) ensure that you have a robust and reliable servicing stack so that your devices can receive and install Microsoft updates.
Known issues in this update
Symptom Workaround After installing this update, IE mode tabs in Microsoft Edge might stop responding when a site displays a modal dialog box. A modal dialog box is a form or dialog box that requires the user to respond before continuing or interacting with other portions of the webpage or app.
Developer Note Sites affected by this issue call window.focus.
We are working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.
How to get this updateBefore installing this update
Microsoft now combines the latest servicing stack update (SSU) for your operating system with the latest cumulative update (LCU). For general information about SSUs, see Servicing stack updates and Servicing Stack Updates (SSU): Frequently Asked Questions.
You must install KB5005039, dated August 10, 2021, before installing the LCU.
Install this update
Release Channel Available Next Step Windows Update and Microsoft Update Yes Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update. In the Optional updates available area, you’ll find the link to download and install the update. Windows Update for Business No None. These changes will be included in the next security update to this channel. Microsoft Update Catalog No To get the standalone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website. Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) No You can import this update into WSUS manually. See the Microsoft Update Catalog for instructions.
If you want to remove the LCU
To remove the LCU after installing the combined SSU and LCU package, use the DISM/Remove-Package command line option with the LCU package name as the argument. You can find the package name by using this command: DISM /online /get-packages.
Running Windows Update Standalone Installer (wusa.exe) with the /uninstall switch on the combined package will not work because the combined package contains the SSU. You cannot remove the SSU from the system after installation.
For a list of the files that are provided in this update, download the file information for cumulative update 5015879.
For a list of the files that are provided in the servicing stack update, download the file information for the SSU - version 20348.850.
Check Windows Updates
Direct download link for KB5015879 MSU file from Microsoft Update Catalog:
Download KB5015879 MSU for Windows Server 2022 21H2 64-bit (x64) - 254.6 MB
64-bit ISO download: Select language for Cumulative Update for Microsoft server operating system version 21H2 (20348.859) amd64
UUP Dump is the most practical and easy way to get ISO images of any Insider Windows 10 or Windows 11 version, as soon as Microsoft has released a new build. UUP Dump creates a download configuration file according to your choices, downloads necessary files directly from Microsoft servers, and...