You can sign in to Windows 11 with a local account or a Microsoft account. However, you can easily switch between using a local account or a Microsoft account to sign in to Windows 11.
Signing in to Windows 11 with a Microsoft account lets you:
- Download apps from the Microsoft Store.
- Get your online content in Microsoft apps automatically.
- Sync settings online to make PCs look and feel the same - like your browser history, account picture, and color.
- You have to create a user name and account for each PC you use.
- While not recommended, you can remove the account password if you like.
- You'll need to sign in to the Microsoft Store with a Microsoft account to download apps from the Microsoft Store.
- Your settings won't be synced across the PCs that you use.
Open Settings (Win+I).
Click/tap on Accounts on the left side, and click/tap on Your info on the right side. (see screenshot below)
Open Your info settings
Click/tap on the Sign in with a local account instead link on the right side. (see screenshot below)
Click/tap on Next to confirm. (see screenshot below)
Enter your Microsoft account credentials to verify. (see screenshot below)
Perform the following steps to set up a local account to switch to: (see screenshot below)
- Enter a User name you want for your local account.
- Enter a New password you want for your local account.
- Type the new password again to Confirm password.
- Type a Password hint you want.
- Click/tap on Next when finished.
You will not be able to use a user name that has already been used by an existing user profile.
You can leave the password fields empty if you do not want a password for the local account. It is recommended to password protect your local account to help keep it more secure.
If you like, you can add security questions for your local account later to provide an extra layer of protection.
Click/tap on Sign out and finish when you are ready to switch to a local account. (see screenshot below)
When you sign in to Windows 11 next, you will now sign in to your local account setup at step 6.