Windows 7 introduced libraries, which provide users with a single, coherent view of their files even when those files are stored in different locations. Libraries can be configured and organized by a user and a library can contain folders that are found on the user's computer and also folders that have been shared over a network. Libraries present a simpler view of the underlying storage system because, to the user, the files and folders in a library are displayed in one single view location, no matter where they are actually physically stored.
In File Explorer, users interact with libraries in ways similar to how they would interact with other folders. Libraries are built upon the legacy known folders (such as Camera Roll, Documents, Music, Pictures, Saved Pictures, and Videos), and these known folders are automatically included in the default libraries and set as the default save location.
Each library has a default save location and public save location. Users can select a different save location. If the user removes the default save location from a library, the next location in order is automatically selected as the new default save location. If the library is empty of locations or if all included locations cannot be saved to, then the save operation fails.
Windows Libraries - Win32 apps
Windows 7 introduces libraries, which provide users with a single, coherent view of their files even when those files are stored in different locations.
Windows Libraries - Windows Client Management
All about Windows Libraries, which are containers for users' content, such as Documents and Pictures.
This tutorial will show you how to change the order of library locations for your account in Windows 11.
EXAMPLE: Order of library locations when set to group by locations
1 Open Libraries in File Explorer (Win+E).
2 Perform one of the following actions: (see screenshots below)
- Select the library (ex: "Pictures") you want to change the order of its locations, click/tap on the See more (3 dots) button on the command bar, and click/tap on Properties.
- Right click or press and hold on the library (ex: "Pictures") you want to change the order of its locations, and click/tap on Properties.
3 Perform one of the following actions: (see screenshots below)
- Drag up or down the folder location you want to change its order until you see a line show in the order you want, drop the folder location, and click/tap on OK to apply.
- Right click on the folder location you want to change its order, click/tap on Move up and/or Move down until it's listed in the order you want, and click/tap on OK to apply.
- Add or Remove Libraries in Navigation Pane of File Explorer in Windows 11
- Move Libraries Above or Below This PC in Navigation Pane in Windows 11
- Create New Library in Windows 11
- Include Folder in Library in Windows 11
- Remove Folder from Library in Windows 11
- Change Default Save Locations for Libraries in Windows 11
- Restore Default Settings of Library in Windows 11
- Change Icon of Library in Windows 11